Cubitt was originally constructed in 1880 as a purpose-built Sanatorium, and was a source of great pride at the time; the Headmaster, George Cantrell Allen, boasted in 1894 that Cranleigh ‘might claim now to be one of the healthiest schools in England.’ The benefactor was George Cubitt, later Lord Ashcombe, a local landowner and philanthropist who, along with John Henry Sapte, is often regarded as the founder of the School. It functioned as a sanatorium until 1961, when David Emms decided to transform the House system at Cranleigh, and Cubitt House was opened with accommodation for sixty boys and a bachelor Housemaster, Lance Marshall. Since that time, the House has been a byword for stability and continuity, having had just five Housemasters in forty-seven years: Marshall (1961-1976), Joe Poleglase (1976-1990), David Derbyshire (1990-1996), Andrew Griffiths (1996-2007) and the current incumbent, Charlie Boddington. It has expanded considerably over the last decade or so: a new wing was built in 1995 and, in 1999, the old 1 and 4 South House was amalgamated with Cubitt. The most recent renovation was concluded in 2008, resulting in the complete integration of day boys who had hitherto been accommodated on a separate site.