We are asking for the support of our community and all visitors to our school site to help us minimise the risk of COVID-19.
With increasingly restrictive government advice regarding Covid-19 being issued on a daily basis, we have taken the decision to close the school earlier than we would like. We have not yet had any confirmed cases of Covid-19, however the situation nationally is escalating rapidly. New information was issued on March 16th, from Public Health England via the Boarding Schools Association. This latest update indicates that were we to have a pupil displaying the symptoms of a fever or new and persistent cough, we would have to treat the affected boarding house as a ‘household’ which would entail isolating and containing all pupils within the house for 14 days. This is a situation we did not wish to risk. This combines with an increasing number of staff who are having to self-isolate.
We will therefore close the school to pupils on March 17th, to ensure that the pupils in our care are not at risk of being isolated at school. Our teaching staff will continue to educate the pupils until the end of term using remote learning. Our bursarial teams will continue to look after the school. We know this is an anxious time and we are very grateful, as always, for the support and kindness that exist within our immediate community.
We are requiring any member of our community who develops a high temperature and/or new persistent cough to self-isolate immediately and stay at home for 14 days. We are also restricting visitors unless their visit is absolutely necessary.
In line with Government guidance, please do not enter the school site for any reason if you have a high temperature or a new persistent cough.
In line with guidance from Public Health England, please do not enter the school site for any reason if you fall within any of the following categories, even if you do not have symptoms:
- anywhere in Italy on or after 9 March,
- specific areas in northern Italy in the last 14 days
- Iran in the last 14 days
- Hubei province in China in the last 14 days
- Daegu, Cheongdo or Gyeongsan in South Korea in the last 14 days
Also do not enter the school site for any reason if you’ve travelled to the UK from the following places in the last 14 days and have a cough, high temperature or shortness of breath, even if your symptoms are mild:
- Italy (outside specific areas in northern Italy) before 9 March
- mainland China outside of Hubei province
- South Korea outside of Daegu, Cheongdo and Gyeongsan
- Hong Kong
If you have travelled in these areas and develop symptoms of COVID-19 whilst at Cranleigh, please inform your host immediately and follow their advice. If you develop symptoms such as a high temperature and persistent cough within 14 days of visiting the School, please inform us at email@example.com as soon as possible.
Please be reassured that we are following PHE advice and that our priority is the safety and wellbeing of our pupils and staff. If this advice restricts your planned visit, please contact the member of staff you were due to meet to rearrange. As the COVID-19 situation is changing rapidly, if you are due to visit and are currently not affected by the guidance above, we would ask that you check this page again immediately prior to your visit in case our position has changed.
Thank you for your support in minimising the risk to our community.